Following the first-year and for the remaining semesters and summers, scholars participate in the Summer Research Experience, a faculty-mentored laboratory research experience. The 8-week summer program provides an in-depth research experience with opportunities to participate in learning communities and present research which may lead to publishing opportunities.
Summer 2019 Calendar:
May 13 – Orientation (first-year research Scholars only, unless any other students missed events from previous years)
May 20 – Start of research in labs
July 09 – Poster abstracts for the Summer Research Experience (SRE) Symposium due to BUILD repository ( Submit Abstract)
July 12 – Last day of research in labs
July 12 – Rough draft of research report due to mentors
July 16 – Summer Research Experience (SRE) Symposium
July 19 – Final research report is due to BUILD repository
SRE Professional Development Info:
First-year research students are required to attend a minimum of 4 events
Locations: Divided between WSU and Detroit Mercy. Exact locations will be shared once room reservations are confirmed. First-year events will be at Detroit Mercy, and most paper discussions will be at WSU.
Events and Dates:
Friday, May 24: Check-in (required for all first-year students)
Tuesday, May 28: Abstract preparation, (required for all first-year research students)
Tuesday, June 11: SRE Research Paper (required for all first-year research students)
- Location: University of Detroit Mercy, Chemistry Building Room 114 from 9:00 AM-10:30 AM
- Link to campus map: http://dasgupab.faculty.udmercy.edu/dmmc/UDM_MCNICHOLS_CAMPUS_MAP.pdf
- Chemistry Building labeled #5 on campus map
Tuesday, July 2: Poster Preparation (required for all first-year research students)
- Location: Wayne State University, Biological Sciences Building, room 1167
- Link to campus map: http://maps.wayne.edu/#buildings-biological-sciences
- Parking: Wayne State Structure 6 provides receipts. Link to directions here: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=61%20Putnam%2C%20Detroit%20MI%2C%2048202
* Schedules for Summer Research Experience are subject to change.
Report Guideline Documents for Scholars:
Poster Presentation Information:
- ReBUILDetroit logo
- Please include the following statement on reports and posters:
Reported research is supported by the National Institutes of Health under Award Numbers GM118981, GM118982 and GM118983. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.