Importance of Teacher Empathy in Student Success
Presented by Katherine R. Rowell, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Founding Director Center for Teaching and Learning
Sinclair Community College (2008-2015)
- Keen, S. (2006). A theory of narrative empathy. Narrative, 14(3), 207-236.
- Segal, E. A. (2011). Social empathy: A model built on empathy, contextual understanding, and social responsibility that promotes social justice. Journal of Social Service Research, 37(3), 266-277.
- Kreber, C. (2010). Academics’ teacher identities, authenticity and pedagogy. Studies in Higher Education, 35(2), 171-194
- Rogers, Carl and H. Jerome Freiberg. 3rd edition. 1994. Freedom to Learn. Macmillan College Publishing Company.
- Berman, Jeffrey. 2004. Empathic Teaching:Education for Life. University of Massachusetts Press.
- Brookfield, Stephen D. 1995. Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher. Jossey-Bass.
- Kreber, C., Klampfleitner, M., McCune, V., Bayne, S., and Knottenble, M. 2007. What do you mean by ‘authentic’? A comparative review of the literature on conceptions of authenticity in teaching. Adult Education Quarterly, 58 (1), 22-44.
- Palmer, Parker. 1998. The Courage to Teach:Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life. Jossey-Bass.
- Hart, Sura and Victoria Kindle Hodson. 2004. The Compassionate Classroom” Relationship Based Teaching and Learning. PuddleDancer Press.
- Liston, D. 2003. “The allure of beauty and the pain of injustice in learning and teaching.” in.. Teaching, Caring, Loving and Learning. London:RoutledgeFalmer.
- Mortiboys, Alan. 2012. Teaching With Emotional Intelligence: A Step by Step Guide for Higher and Further Education Professionals. Routledge.
- Creating Inclusive College Classrooms
- The Empathic Civilization. TED
- Valuable Intellectual Traits
- Compassion Education
- Creating Positive Emotional Contexts for Enhancing Teaching and Learning
- What can be done to reduce stereotype threat?
- All the difference
- Six paths to more authentic teaching
- The Empty Desk: Caring Strategies to Talk to Students About Their Attendance
- Redos and Retakes Done Right
- 12 steps to creating a successful redo and retake policy
- Creating a foundation for a warm classroom environment
- Life in college matters for life after college
- The college student mental health crisis
- Rising stress levels alarm health educators
- Future ready student voices (YouTube)
- Stereotype threat (YouTube)